The Arcade, Newark, Ohio


The Arcade opened in Newark, Ohio in 1909. Modeled after innovative European buildings, it became one of Newark, Ohio’s first successful retail emporiums. Later versions became known as shopping malls. At 60,000 square feet (5,600 m2), the Arcade is one-third the size of an average Wal-Mart. The original architecture provides a beautiful setting that attracts shoppers to its businesses.